Since the reading for this week was on the lighter side I decide to share my general feeling towards environmental nonprofits. In my opinion, organizations that work to better the environment are some of the most crucial nonprofits out there. The work they do affect every human being on the planet in a direct manner. I find environmental issues to be more pressing and urgent when I am exposed to them because frankly, I feel as if out generation is the one that’s going to get screwed. All of the irresponsible choices made by humans before us, environmental and fiscal, are going to be dumped on our laps in the very near future and we need a plan.
I found the McKenzie Watershed Council Annual Report to be surprisingly pleasant to read. It was easy to understand, brief but still had enough detail to be informative. I enjoyed the short paragraph project updates and the clear goal listing. I also thought it was smart of them to put the financial break down chart at the end of the report. It seems like a good idea to leave people with an idea of your revenue as an organization. Now the donor, or who ever is reading the report, sees your needs as an organization and the goals you are trying to meet with that money.
The Paul Hawken Commencement Address was my favorite reading for this week.
I feel inspired. I really liked this speech and though he made some great points. I wish my graduation speaker had this much umph. He spoke indirectly to non-profits when referencing all those good people with an optimistic view of the world and are working to better the situation. The many issues the world is now grappling with do seem huge and overwhelming and it is easy to have a pessimistic view of things. It is harder to search for solutions. To try and fail and try again. Hawkens speech really resonated with me so I looked him up and found that he is a pretty well known environmentalist and has done lots of lectures and interviews (that are fairly long). I did find a little six-minute speech he gave that is equally inspiring and has some humorous moments. Take a look.
I found the Al Gore reading to be a bit dull. I didn’t really get much out of it except that more money should be allocated to these causes, as they are important issues. I think that this article as good information but it was present rather poorly. Perhaps the reason that the $6 billion donated to environmental causes represents only 2% of giving is due to the fact that it is harder to make earth as appealing as children, or homeless or sick people. People like to give to people. Finding a way to present these issues in a different more people oriented way may result in more money.
I found a video for a campaign called 1% for the planet. I dig it.
A Guide to Environmental Non-Profits was cool just because it had never occurred to me that a nonprofit might try to almost trick you into thinking the organization was something it wasn’t. In my mind a nonprofit always works towards something “good”. But “good” is arbitrary and to me might mean something completely different than to you. But there does seem to be something dishonest about an organization called Institute for Cetacean Research being a group for Japanese whaling interests. But I guess spin is something that exists in all spheres where money is a factor.
I loved that video! I think this is a perfect example of how environmental non profits and corporations can work together in a good way. Businesses give 1% of profits to help save the earth and get publicity showing they are doing a good thing. I also liked how the video told me drinking beer can help save the environment. Smart marketing person.
ReplyDeleteI also like what you said about it never occurring to you that a non profit might be trying to trick you. It never occurred to me either and I find myself to be a less than trusting person until trust is earned. I think that we assume that because non profits are started with hearts that there aren't people who exploit the trust and the system. False. When I started writing about your video above, I thought "how do I know which non profit this 1% is supporting" Thanks a lot Institute for Cetacean Research.
A guide to Environmental Nonprofits was really interesting. There's a lot more to an organization than just a name. I thought the article showed the importance of making sure you know what the organization is about before donating or becoming affiliated with them.
ReplyDeleteI think your right about our generation getting handed huge problems to solve that we didn't create. Environmental nonprofits will be key players. On the bright side though, if we're successful in solving the problems, we'll deservingly take our place in history as the greatest generation:).
I also like 1% for the planet program - thanks for sharing the link. I noticed it first when I was eating a cliff bar - they're huge supporters of them. I also appreciated the McKenzie Watershed readings to be interesting. As I know you know from 481 it's always good to put your financial info out there for possible supporters! :)
ReplyDeleteI also thought the Environmental article was interesting. The word nonprofit just doesn't fit with bad connotations. I never thought about the word good being arbitrary, but it makes complete sense, people have different morals and priorities and therefore good and bad are different to most people.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed the speech and the MWC report this past week, too. They were both applicable to the immediate environment and motivational. Change is within reach.
ReplyDelete